Requirements for History minors
- New minor requirements (as of Winter 2010) (click here for the static undergraduate minor degree checklist)
Dynamic undergraduate minor degree checklist (fill online, then print). (Does not function under Safari or Chrome)
A copy of the static checklist of requirements can also be obtained from the history office.
Specific requirements for all history minors:
- Minimum credit requirements
- Residency requirements
- History before 1800 requirement
- Non-European/non-US requirement
- Minimum GPA requirements
- Advising and entering the minor
Minimum Credit Requirements
- 28 graded credits in history courses, all for letter grades.
- At least 24 of these must be in upper-division (300- or 400-level) courses.
- At least 12 of these must be at the 400 level.
- At least 3 courses must be numbered 408 or 410-499.
- 4 credits may be completed at the lower (100- or 200-) level.
- Minors in History are encouraged, but not required, to enroll in HIST 407 courses.
At least 20 credits, including at least 8 400-level credits, must be completed at the University of Oregon.[back to top]
History Before 1800 Requirement
At least 4 upper-division credits in history before 1800 with a C- or better grade. See the roster of “pre-1800 courses” for a list of courses meeting this requirement.[back to top]
At least 4 upper-division credits in a non-European/non-US focused course with a C- or better grade. We allow the same course to count for both the pre-1800 and non-European/non-US requirements.[back to top]
Minimum GPA Requirements
A grade point average (GPA) of 2.5 or higher is required in history courses taken at the University of Oregon.[back to top]
Advising and Entering the Minor
- Students can declare a minor in history through meeting with a History advisor or a university academic advisor (e.g., at Tykeson Hall or the Office of Academic Advising).
If they have not already done so, once you join the minor you must promptly schedule a meeting with a History advisor, who will aid students to formulate a plan of study to complete the minor.
- The current primary Advisor for Undergraduate Studies can be contacted at HistoryAdvising@uoregon.edu. Include your 95# in your email.
- The faculty advisor helps develop a plan that directs the course of study and ensures timely completion of the requirements.