History Department Travel Process for Faculty
This page provides information and an outline for successfully completing the travel process, as well as some useful tips and information to make the process run as smoothly as possible.
There are four steps in the travel process:
- Complete and submit the pre-travel request through Concur.
- Book airfare with the Booking Tool in Concur or coordinate airfare through one of your UO Travel Agents from your TMC (Travel Management Company).
- Conduct travel. Retain original receipts and keep travel log.
- Create a Concur Expense Report to seek a travel reimbursement by personally uploading your receipts and/or submitting materials to the Departmental Travel Coordinator.
1. Concur Request (pre-travel)
Log in to Concur at https://concur.uoregon.edu (shibboleth log-in screen will appear) using your Duck ID and password.
If you do not know the cost of air and need to do a search, you can use the Booking Tool to LOOK but do not book.
Click Request (black bar) , then click New Request (white bar). Red bars indicate required fields for each box. There are 3 tabs that you need to fill out for each Request:
• Select appropriate policy from the drop down menu.
• Request Name, enter the trip location and date.
• Enter the trip start and end dates. If the traveler will be taking personal time the trip dates should include the personal time.
• Request/Trip Purpose, select from the drop down menu
• Destination City, enter name of the city that the traveler is doing business. This is what determines GSA per diem allowances for meals and lodging. Destination country will autofill.
• Traveler Type, select from the drop down menu.
• Trip Type, select from the drop down menu. Generally, the travel will trip type will be domestic or international.
• How will you book your travel ? select “Online Concur Booking Tool” to book online. All other options will not allow you to launch the booking tool and will show a Request status of “Expense” instead of “Book” once the request is approved.
• Personal time, If yes, enter the dates of personal travel in the following field.
• Absent any term ? If Yes, add information in the business purpose to explain.
• Business Purpose, enter up to 500 characters describing benefit to the university. Be sure to include the name of the conference, research centers, archives, etc. of places/organizations you will be conducting business at; as well as the title and/or topic of your research project. If more space is needed, attach PDF using the attachment button in the upper right corner of the screen.
• Index Activity and Location Codes: there is a default index set for all history travelers (BHTRVL). Travelers submitting Requests do not need to change this since there will be an opportunity to change or allocate to multiple indexes in the Expense Report by the Travel Coordinator.
• Airfare or Railroad – If you are including personal time, you will complete the travel information and price but should contact the TMC for the comparison quote for the business only itinerary. You will need to provide the Request approval ID to the travel agent to complete the ticket purchase. Enter air or rail details and save.
• Rental Car – Enter rental details and approximate amount. Save.
• Hotel – Enter approximate lodging total, dates and location. NEW: The default credit card held by the TMCs can be used to guarantee the hotel. Payment must be arranged on the traveler’s One Card or personal card upon check-in.
• Enter any other material trip expenses (remember this is only an estimate). Save
Submission and Approval
• Travelers will click Submit.
• The Request will be forwarded to the traveler’s default approver. Once approved, the status will change from “Submitted and Pending Approval” to “Approved”. If the approver has questions or asks for edits to the request, they will Send the Request back to you with comment. The comment will appear in your Active Request list and you can view the comment in the Audit Trail. Make necessary corrections and answer questions, then submit the request again. Make sure to add comment for the approver in the Request Header.
Tips for filling out Concur Request Form:
- In the Business Purpose section of the Concur Request, please be sure to be thorough, detailed, and succinct (500 character max length) in your description of your intended travel. Include all relevant information necessary to acquire approval from the Department and the Business Affairs Office (BAO) and Travel Office. Relevant details include:
- the title and/or topic of your project(s), books, papers, articles, etc. that you will be conducting research for
- the name(s) of conferences, professional associations, meetings, archives, institutions, etc. that you will be attending
- brief description of the activity (ex. conduct research, present paper titled …, prof. assoc. duties for xxx committee) that will take place
- Providing this information initially is important to ensuring a more efficient approval process, as well as completing the Concur Expense Report for your travel reimbursement, with minimal email correspondence between the traveler, the Travel Coordinator, and BAO/Travel Office.
- Click here for examples of adequate and inadequate business purpose descriptions
Request Departmental Travel Funds
Each year, the Department makes a sum of funds available for the support of travel to attend scholarly conferences. The Department Head, in consultation with the Department Manager, reviews all travel funds requests and allocates them for the following purposes:
- Tenure-track (TTF) and career non-tenure-track (NTTF) faculty who make a substantive presentation at a major conference – by delivering an academic paper or panel comment, by offering a poster presentation, or by participating in a roundtable or workshop – or who must attend conferences for reasons of institutional obligation – by leading or participating in executive board meetings, editorial meetings, or program committee meetings – may request immediate funding for transportation and registration to one conference. For travel to deliver a substantive presentation within the United States, the maximum amount is $800; for international travel, the maximum amount is $1000. For travel to participate in board meetings, editorial meetings, or program committee meetings, the maximum amount is $600. Reimbursements may be used to cover all legitimate costs incurred because of attending the conference.
- Pro tem or visiting faculty who teach full-time are eligible according to the same guidelines above for regular faculty. Otherwise, adjuncts are eligible for up to $300 only in years when they teach three or more History department courses during the regular academic year.
Here is the full document for the Professional Development Policy for the History Department.
2. Booking Tool and/or TMC (Travel Management Company) & UO Travel Agents (pre-travel)
1-Online Concur Booking Tool
When you select the option “1-Online Concur Booking Tool” on the Concur Request (How will you book your trip?) in the Header tab), you will be prompted to book online using the Booking Tool. All other options will not allow you to launch the Booking Tool and will show a Request status of “Expense” instead of “Book” once the request is approved.
Once the Request is approved, go to the Concur home screen and click Request to see a list of Active Requests. Find the approved request and click the Book link in the right status column. This will launch the booking tool with pre-populated Request information.
2-TMC (recommended for intl, personal time, group)
Travelers who choose this option will use one of the UO Travel Agents from the TMC they belong too in order to select and purchase an airfare itinerary in the same way that travelers did under the old regime. Travelers can find the contact information for their TMC Travel Agents in the “Company Notes” section on the main page of their Concur account by clicking the “Read More” tab located at the bottom right corner or “Company Notes.” Travels who are traveling internationally, have personal time included in their travel (comparison quotes for business only is required), or is traveling in groups should use this option. It is also highly encouraged that this option is used if a traveler has a multi-city destination trip they need to plan; though the Booking Tool can be used for multi-city travel domestically.
When using this option, the Concur Request Approval must be sent to the TMC by the traveler or their departmental Travel Coordinator so they can book the airfare. The Travel Coordinator generally sends this immediately after the Request has been approved, but here are the instructions for how the traveler would do this:
- Once your Request is approved, on the Concur home page click on Request (next to the SAP Concur logo) and locate your approved Request from the resulting list
- Click anywhere within the line to open the Request.
- Locate the Print/Email button in the upper right and select “UO Request Printed Report This report contains traveler’s name, Status: “Approved”, Request ID, flight details and the amount the TMC is to charge to UO lodge(credit) card. Click Email and type in your TMC email address, as well as your own email address to provide Outlook tracking:
- Direct Travel: UofOtravelteam@dt.com
- Premier Travel: email@example.com
Once the Concur Request is approved and the approval has been sent to the TMC, contact any one of the UO Travel Agents listed in your Company Notes section to initiate the process of identifying an airfare itinerary, and provide them the date range, location, and any travel preferences for your intended trip. The UO Travel Agent will present you with a series of itineraries that you can then choose from to best fit your needs. Once you have informed the UO Travel Agent of your selected itinerary, they will book it and will send you the e-ticket. You will also be able to find the itinerary on your Concur account on the Travel page.
7-Book Outside Concur and have comparison quote showing savings
Travelers may purchase their own airfare and submit for reimbursement once travel has been completed, but in order to do so, travelers must be sure to get a comparison quote from the Concur Booking Tool before the airfare is purchased to show the savings. Be sure to take a screen shot or print off a copy of the airfare that the Booking Tool offers with a date to show that you got the comparison prior to actually purchasing the ticket yourself. The Travel Office will not approve airfare purchased outside of Concur without this comparison quote from the Booking Tool.
Important Reminders For Purchasing Airfare:
- travel that combines personal time and business efforts requires a Comparison Quote
- if you will be travelling internationally, please take the following steps before departing on your trip with the Office of Risk Management:
- purchase international travel insurance, which gives you coverage for accidents and sickness, security evacuations, emergency medical evacuations and more
3. Conduct Travel
Now is the time to travel! Enjoy your trip!
It is very important to maintain a travel log during your trip to briefly document the business purpose and expenses for each day. This will ensure that the reimbursement process goes smoothly upon your return and that you receive the appropriate per diem. You can upload your travel log and receipts in the Concur Expense Report for your trip as “Other Supporting Documents” or turn in your travel log to the Dept. Travel Coordinator upon your return along with your receipts for reimbursement.
As a reminder:
- keep all of your original receipts, documents, and relevant materials during your trip, as you will need to upload these on your Concur Expense Report for the travel or turn these in to the Travel Coordinator (Nick Mahlum) after your travel concludes. These materials will be used during the next phase, the travel reimbursement process; the Concur Expense Report
- all receipts must indicate that payment to the vendor has been completed, which is demonstrated by documentation of method of payment and a $0 balance. Reservation confirmations for services is not sufficient for reimbursement
- per diem for meals and lodging is not allowed for personal days taken during your travel
- if you are attending a conference, please obtain a conference program and mark the sessions that you attend and/or participate in, and submit with your receipts with the travel reimbursement materials
4. Concur Expense Report for Travel Reimbursement (post-travel)
After you return from your trip, upload onto the Concur Expense Report that corresponds with your travel or submit your relevant travel materials to the Dept. Travel Coordinator Nick Mahlum within 60 days of the completion of your travel.
The types of materials you should submit include:
- completed travel log
- original receipts which document the method of payment and/or $0 balance (reservation confirmations are not sufficient)
- conference programs and documents
- any additional information regarding personal time taken, non-direct routes, provided meals, etc.
Providing a detailed travel log with thorough documentation of your business purpose while traveling will minimize lengthy correspondence during the process to build the Expense Report for the travel reimbursement. In short, this will get you your money faster!
The above process can take up to three weeks, depending on the queue of the Travel Coordinator, the complexity of the travel and the clarity of the supporting documentation.
Please note once again that UO Travel Policy requires that all travel reimbursement requests be submitted for processing no later than 60 DAYS after the travel has been complete. Please turn in your materials as soon as possible after you return from a UO business related trip.
Expense for Travel:
- From home screen, click on “Request”, “Manage Requests.”
- Find the Request associated with the trip you are reimbursing.
- On the right side, in the action column there will be an “Expense” button. Click this button to
launch a new Expense Report associated with the approved request.
- Business purpose from the Request will populate automatically, but be sure to add any necessary details to the Business Purpose (Be sure to include the name of the conference, research centers, archives, etc. of places/organizations you will be conducting business at; as well as the title and/or topic of your research project) and click next at the bottom of the screen.
Travel Allowance (aka per diem)
Remember to Save, Save, Next, Next-then create expenses!
- Travel Allowances box will pop-up where you will complete the per diem meal section.
- Enter the departure city and date and time of departure, and enter the arrival city and dates and
time of arrival. Click save.
- Enter the return trip date, or if this is a multi-stop trip, you will enter the next “leg” of
the trip. After each itinerary stop, click save.
- Once all itinerary stops have been entered click next.
- A box will appear with the itinerary you entered, click next.
- Another box will appear with a per diem grid. The allowable amount appears on the
- Remove meals that were provided and consumed by the traveler by clicking the check
box for the applicable meal per diem.
- To take out all meal and incidental per diem click the exclude all button on the left for
either each individual day they will not claim or for all days.
- To access the travel allowance grid again, go to Details, under the Travel Allowances list
click Expenses and Adjustments. The grid will appear and you can make any necessary
changes. When edits are completed click Update Expenses.
- From the Details menu, you can also select to create a new itinerary for Travel
Allowances. If creating a new itinerary you will have to delete any existing itineraries
that are within the dates of travel because Concur will not allow for multiple itineraries
that share dates.
- Expenses charged to the One Card, Ghost Card, and through Concur partner vendors will
appear in the travelers “trip library” as an available expense.
- Click on Import Expenses (just under the trip identifier) and a list of available expenses
- Click on the check box next to the expense you want to import to your expense report
and click the Move button.
- The expense will appear on the left hand side of the screen where you will attach
receipts, itemize, and allocate as necessary.
- Click + New Expense button.
- Select the expense type from the menu on the right of the screen.
- Complete the fields with transaction dates, vendor name, city of purchase, amount and
any additional information to identify purpose of the expense (for example, taxi to
meeting with Professor X at University of California San Diego).
- When a receipt is required for an expense the following icon will appear next to the
- Itemization is required for hotel expenses.
- A hotel expense record will have two tabs, one for the expense detailing the date, dollar
amount, and payment type. The second tab is for the itemization of hotel expenses.
- Once you have selected the expense, to itemize, you can click on the itemize button at
the bottom of the screen or click on the Nightly Lodging Expenses tab.
- Fill in the check in and check out dates, this will calculate the number of nights.
- Fill in the nightly room rate and taxes. There are three fields for room taxes, if there are
more taxes or other nightly expenses (for example resort fees), these will be added as
an additional charge.
- Save itemization.
- If the room rate is different each night, once you have saved the itemization, you can go
into each line item and adjust to the correct amount.
- If there are one-time expenses, such as a meeting room rental, you will enter nightly
expenses as one itemization. Once you have saved the itemization for the nightly
- There will be an amount or expense left over and a new itemization tab will appear.
- Select the expense type for the remaining expenses from the drop down list.
- Enter the amount and notes to explain the expense and save.
- New itemizations will appear until the whole amount on the hotel bill has been
- For expenses such as room service or any other personal expense not allowable under
travel policy will be itemized as a personal expense.
- The Details Tab allows the user to access the header, travel allowance, allocations, and
the work flow of the expenses report.
- To view items that need a receipt, click on the receipts tab and select Receipts Required.
- To attach a receipt from this view, click Attach Receipt Images button.
- Select the line item you will be attaching the receipt to.
- Then browse to locate the receipt PDF or Picture, select the PDF and upload. The receipt
image will attach to the expense.
How to upload receipts to Concur
- Receipts may be scanned as a PDF and uploaded into Concur, via browsing computer
- Travelers may use the Concur Mobile App to take photographs of pictures with their
phone or tablet. The app is connected with the traveler’s profile and will flow into the
traveler’s receipt library automatically.
- Travelers or delegates may take pictures or scan receipts and send them to
firstname.lastname@example.org, put the traveler’s uoregon.edu email address in the subject line
of the email and attach the receipt images. The receipts will flow into the traveler’s
- Attachment files (receipts and documents) must be a PNG, JPG, PDF, HTML or TIF file format.
How to upload documentation (conference/meeting agenda or other supporting documentation)
- + New Expense
- .08 Other Supporting Documentation
- Fill in the data fields, the amount field will be 0.
- Click “Attach Receipt” button in the bottom right of the screen.
- Select documentation from your available receipts OR Browse to select the documentation from
a file saved on your computer.
UO Detailed Report Print/Email
- Click on the Print/Email button to view the Details of the expense report and attached
- From this screen you can email the report, print, or create a PDF.
Submitting, Approval, and Processing the Expense Report
- Once the delegate (or traveler) has completed the report, the traveler will need to submit the report for approval by logging in and clicking the submit report button.
- An attestation will appear and the traveler will select Accept & Submit button to send
to their approver.
- The approver will review and approve or send back to the traveler for edits/clarification.
- Once approved, the Expense Report will be forwarded to the UO Travel Office for processing (the status will be Submitted: Approved and in Accounting Review).
Checking on Status of an expense report
- The traveler or delegate may check the status of their report by logging onto the Concur
website. The traveler will click into the Expense tab and their open reports will show in a
- Once processed, the status will show Processing Payment. The traveler’s coordinator
may also check in the Banner using form FWIVNDH.