- Professor of History (Ph.D. Stanford, 1990)
- Asian Studies Program Director (2009-2015)
- Director, Oregon Consortium for International and Area Studies (2013-2015)
- Editorial Board, Twentieth Century China (2008-present)
- Modern China Editor, Journal of Asian Studies (2004-2006)
- American Historical Association, Progam Committee (2015)
- Association for Asian Studies, China Council (2013-2016)
Monographs and Edited Volumes
- The Suicide of Miss Xi: Democracy and Disenchantment in the Chinese Republic (Harvard University Press, 2021).
- Twentieth-Century Colonialism and China: Localities, the Everyday, and the World (Routledge, April 2012). Co-editor.
- Gender in Motion: Divisions of Labor and Cultural Change in Modern China (Rowman and Littlefield, 2005). Co-editor.
- Transnationalism and the Chinese Press, China Review 4:1 (April 2004). Special Issue Editor
- Native Place, City and Nation: Regional Networks and Identities in Shanghai, 1853-1937 (UC Press, 1995)
- In preparation: Expansive Exchanges: Colonialism, Sovereignty, and Capitalism in Early Twentieth Century China
- "Dubious Figures: Speculation, Calculation, and Credibility in Early Twentieth-Century Chinese Stock Exchanges," in The Cultural History of Money and Credit: A Global Perspective (2015).
- "'Law is One Thing and Virtue is Another': Law and Legal Process," in Chinese Law: Knowledge, Practice, and Transformation (2015).
- 翻譯的鍊金術： 民國早期上海的「經濟學」, ⟪ 近代中國新知識的建構⟫ (2013).
- "Colonialism and China," in Twentieth-Century Colonialism and China (2012)
- "Things Unheard of East or West: Colonial Contamination and Cultural Purity in Early Chinese Stock Exchanges" (2012).
- "Words of Blood and Tears: Petty Urbanites Write Emotion," Nan Nü: Men, Women and Gender in China (2009).
- "What is in a Network? Local, Personal and Public Loyalties and Conceptions of the State, in At the Crossroads of Empires (Stanford , 2007).
- "Appealing to the Public: Newspaper Presentation and Adjudication of Emotion," Twentieth-Century China (2006).
- "The New Woman Commits Suicide: The Press, Cultural Memory and the New Republic," Journal of Asian Studies (2005).
- "Unvirtuous Exchanges: Women and the Corruptions of the Stock Market," in Women in China: The Republican Period (LIT Verlag, 2005).
- "The Vocational Woman and the Elusiveness of 'Personhood' in Early Republican China," in Gender in Motion (2005).
- "Axes of Gender: Divisions of Labor and Spatial Separation," in Gender in Motion (2005).
- "Semi-Colonialism, Transnational Ties, and Press Culture in Early Republican Shanghai," China Review ((2004).
- "Democratic Calisthenics: Urban Associations in the New Republic," in Changing Meanings of Citizenship in Contemporary China (HUP, 2002).
- "Improvisations on a Semi-Colonial Theme, or, How to Read a Celebration of Transnational Urban Community, JAS (2000).
- "Being Public: The Politics of Representation in 1918 Shanghai," Harvard Journal of Asiatic Studies (2000).
Major Fellowships, Grants, Honors
- Membership (fellowship), Institute for Advanced Study, SHS, Princeton (2015-2016).
- Joy Foundation Fellow, Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study, Harvard (2012-13).
- Faculty Research Award, Office of Research, UO (2014-2015)
- Faculty Excellence Award, 2007
- Visiting Researcher, Institute of Modern History, Academia Sinica, Taiwan (Fall 2005)
- Petrone Fellow (2004)
- National Endowment for the Humanities Fellowship (2003)
- Visiting Professor, École des Hautes Études, Paris (June 1999)
- Faculty Fellow, Stanford Humanities Center (1998-99)
- Organizer, UBC-UW-UO Northwest China Forum, Portland, UO-PDX (April 2015).
- Organizer, "Area Studies in Global Context: The 'Place' of Asia" UO (2012).
- Co-Organizer, International Conference on "Colonialism and Chinese Localities," Qingdao (2007).
- Organizer, International Workshop on "Newspapers and Transnational Journalism in Modern China," UO (2002).
- Co-Organizer, "Gender in Motion: Divisions of Labor and Cultural Change in Modern China," UO (2001).